Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The "Good Girl" Label...

Sometimes our own people fail to understand us. Cease to recognize our feelings. I hate everything including myself when that happens. At those times, I just desire to bury my face in my pillow and cry all my frustration and fury. It infuriates me to see my parents not willing to even give a second thought to what I think or believe…

I never question their decision. I never do. I mean it. The major goal of my life has always been to be a great daughter. The daughter, who would bring pride and honor to her parents whatsoever happens! To whom her parents would look at with twinkle of satisfaction and delight in their eyes. So far, I think, I have never disappointed them but why doesn’t my opinion matter?

For once they should see the "grownup" me. For once they should just try to see the world through my glasses. For once they should just consider that I could have different opinions and beliefs from them and that I possess my own choice…

Of course, they win like always. I listen to them like a “good girl” but what do I do to my emotions and that freaking good girl label, which I am tempted to loathe now? Don’t ask.

All the people, who know me wonder from where I got the ridiculously stubborn nature. You got the answer eh?

24 comments:

Ubaid said...

kya hua kiddo ?

gone! said...

Kuch nahi, Ubaid. All good (:

I am being very ridiculous and ungrateful these days!

Anonymous said...

believe me, you are a good girl.

gone! said...

Zain, that's very nice of you to say. I am beginning to hate this good girl label though :)

Anonymous said...

Ignore the pain of rejection of opinion. Sometimes it is very painful but we have no way other than that. But i believe after sometime you will see that your opinion is having as much wieght as you want.

gone! said...

Hmmm. Lets see :)

Anonymous said...

Living in the sub continent has its quirks,ups and downs. Our Parents are in my opinion more demanding than those of our contemporaries in the western world. But they are also more caring and nurturing. Most of the things that we take for granted are not so for others.
Its not all a downhill ride though, You will get your turn to be heard, Buck up and wait for that time coz believe me you won't always be 16 :) .

Nice blog btw, looking forward to read more. :)

gone! said...

Zambeel, i totally understand that, and have been grateful about it! It's just that sometimes i feel pathetic about the other aspect!

Thanks for dropping by :-)

Anonymous said...

Which is all completely natural, Have fun and keep writing! :)

Maryam said...

I go through that same stuff about twice a week. I've always aimed to be the best daughter too, and believe me when I say this: no matter how perfect, grown-up or mature you are, you will always be a kid to them. Because as you grow older, they do too, and obviously the gap's never bridged. Just one of the things you have to live with. Your opinions, thoughts and feelings will always be like a child's to them. They don't mean anything bad by it, it just is.

siras said...

Sometimes you just want to make them understand that you're not a kid, and they should give some importance to your opinions.
But end of the day , they're your parents and what can you do! :(
Cheer up! :)

Sophia Ali said...

Komal, it's just that parents tend to get over protective about their kids these days...nothing more to that...I know it gets a little frustrating at times, but a great daughter that you are, just ignore..cheers...

Sophia Ali said...

Oh! and I must say that you paint beautifully...take this up...just don't be casual about it...

Americanising Desi said...

:) i know where u r comin from.
there are those days in a girls life too!

hang on honey!
you dont have to always b able to live up to it!

gone! said...

Maryam, that's true but still i think parents should give a little bit of space to their kids, especially if they have never disappointed them in the past...Doesn't sound like very bad of an idea?

gone! said...

Siras, yeah i know. I have lived all by myself, oceans apart, what else do I have to do to prove that I am mature enough now? Parents are just parents!!

gone! said...

Sophia, yeah! I agree with you. I am not that bold or say rude to question what they say. (:

Thanks for praising my paintings. All these compliments mean so much to me, you don't even know (:

gone! said...

Ad, (: I wish...

Abdullah Tariq said...

Sometimes parents are unreasonable. But then they are our parents. Maybe they know something we don't. =[ They've been through more than we have. =] Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

One to whom her parents would look at with twinkle of satisfaction and delight in their eyes.You know, even in my life, it's the TOP most preference:) So I can kind of relate to your situation!:)

As far as parents not understanding you sensible and not taking your approaches seriously, is concerned ummm:)

You know? The major problem these days youth have with their parents is that BOTH of them have their own demands with desire to be 'understood'. Parents want their children to not only understand those demands but fulfil them. Children want same. While in same cases, they just want to be understood and that's it. They don't require fulfillment.

Have you ever thought how does 'understanding' actually comes in?:) I dunno about you. But I can recall myself having similar complain when i just tended to be my parents' 'daughter' not their best friend. Once I became their best buddy, the problem itself got finished:)

May be you should also try to be friends with your parents. How can you possibly expect them to understand you when you've not shared minor to major issues/thoughts of your life with them? How can they just get the depth of your mind by your apparent emotion-filled 'yes' to their every question:)

Our parents are our best friends. And they just need to be realized THEIR significance in our lives. Once they get it, they leave the rest on our shoulders!:) (But that's even a very tough duty, trust me!)..

Bless thee always!:)*huggie*

Ali said...

The 'achha bacha' concept is extremely overrated. Our society is philosophically hypocritical- we are told to innovate by the agents of stagnation. we are taught to huddle indoors by the same people who tell us to change the world.


There is an entire generation that needs a wakeup call.

Anonymous said...

Well.... Komal... I've found myself in the same situation a lot many times... Really... Like I'd rather be studying arts... Not business... but I do so... because my parents wouldn't let me... I still HATE them for this. Literally. But now when I think of it... I feel good of who I am... What I am doing...

Sometimes you just gotta listen to them... No matter how much you HATE what they decide for you... THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE FOR YOU!!! BUT THEY DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUGGEST YOU!!!

But unfortunately... parents here are more inclined towards "deciding for us"... I don't like it... But then you just gotta live with it... You just gotta go with the flow...

One thing is for sure, though...
THEY LOVE US!! AND THEY WANT THE BEST FOR US!!!

Excerpt from my ABOUT ME:
I’ve the best and the worst dad in the world. Most often, I avoid him. I dislike the way I’m given boring lectures. Deep inside my heart, however, I know that he’s almost always right. He wants the best for me.(:
Just do as they say... be the good girl... and by being a good girl, devise a way to do what you wanna do... (;

When there's a will, there's a way

(I never thought I'd be saying all this :D I surely am a 19 year old today.... THANK YOU KOMAL FOR AWAKENING THE ADULT ME :D :D *bows in honour* :P)

Thatsh the simplest pimplest solution I could give :P

BESHTA LUCK!!

gone! said...

Ugly Duckling, true but they should be willing to just listen to what we have in our minds (:

Era, i agree with everything you mentioned and I am already their best friend. I am very close to them but they never listen to me and once something is done I get to listen. "you should have mentioned the pros and cons then!" When they are not willing to listen how can I put the details in front?

It's just one of those times when we have to listen to whatever they say regardless of the consequences. After all, they are our parents!

Thanks for such a detailed and amazing comment (:

gone! said...

Ali, that's another aspect and I support your point but who is going to bring revolution? Can you refuse to your parents when they love you so much and always supported you when you there was a need unlike the parents of the western nation? There really is a difference! (:

Momal, wow! That was quite a summary and it's very true. I have seen my friends not taking arts just because of their parents and all that stuff. I wish they understood that it's "US" who are going to study. My mom faced the same situation years ago when she was forced into medical regardless of her passion for arts.

They say history repeats! Now, when I want to go for Commerce, my parents want me to either do pre eng or pre med! It's like hell for me...I don't want to do that!! I have always dreamed to be a CA! I hate it!!

The worst part is that I am not in Pakistan and couldn't make decisions and get forms for myself. It's them, who are doing it :(

Anyways, thanks for all the encouragement (: *Hugs*