Thursday, March 5, 2009

A strange encounter...

I sat right across from him in the arts room. I could feel his eyes wandering around me. My ears had already turned red and I could feel the warmth on my cheeks and slightly around my tender lips. I hate being stared or noticed in a strange crowd. I examined my attire and there was nothing appealing in blue jeans and a black t shirt with hair in a simple ponytail.

By the way, this wasn’t the first time. It has been happening since the painting class for this semester started but today I was pissed. I just wanted to go and punch him in the face but before I tried to do something I saw him coming towards my table; his gaze still piercing my face. I was baffled; all my bravery vanished in a second. In trepidation I rubbed my hands against each other and wet my dry lips gently. My feet were cold, I snapped my knuckles, and my lashes were down and heavy. In a moment he was standing right in front of me. Tall and fair with dark hair and hazel brown eyes, he was making me nervous. I didn’t know what to do. What to say. His constant look made me more nervous; those few seconds seemed like forever. He looked me in the eye, the blood gushed in my veins, and there was a shiver down my spine. I looked away and tried to calm the rising anxiety in me. His grave voice hit my ears, “Hey, what’s up?” I swallowed the huge lump and replied with fainted expressions, “Not much.” I didn’t say another word and began playing with my paint brushes to show myself busy, secretly wishing that without asking further questions he goes away but he had some other plans…

He dragged a chair from another table and sat beside me. Now, my heart started pounding harder. I tried to conceal my shivering hands and blushing cheeks but my tapping feet weren’t even in my consciousness. I can be very timid at times and this was a true example of it. I still managed to not cry. Yeah when I am at my wit's end I burst into tears but I stayed calm. He complimented my paintings and abruptly shot the question, “Would you like to be my date for prom?” I was out of my mind. This is no big deal but it was a first time from a complete stranger. Okay not complete but still…

I twisted my fingers while staring the floor and said, “umm…” Yeah, I had no idea what to say. I don't want to go with a date but it’s considered pretty rude to refuse especially when you don’t have a date for prom yet. After hearing so many of this kind of “rude-refusal-stories” from my friends I was confused what to say.

There were a lot of answers popping up in my mind but nothing seemed appropriate. I looked at my hand and yeah there is the solution. I swiftly raised my left hand in the air showing him my ring and said, “Sorry, I am committed.” It’s funny because I bought that ring from Target yesterday only and it became my savior. He gave me that wounded expression and said, “Oh that’s alright! I will see you with your date at prom then…must say, lucky guy!”

He slowly put the chair back on the table and returned to his assigned seat. I bit my lip and smiled. Now from where on earth I am gonna bring a date on prom?

15 comments:

Dutta said...

Encounters of the Other Kind :) ... sweet post ... There are lot of stuff you could have said .. but then you are too young :)

Farah Mumtaz said...

I loved your post...it's way interesting. Committed...LOL..nice idea !

Crazy Girl said...

LOL!
i can't stop laughing, coz the words coming from you :"I am committed"..Oh My! you sounded Desi ;), you see if i open up my bollywood dictionary it is : Ghajini (only a little bit of it), so miss Komal, when's the audition for that "LUCKY GUY":P!?

A said...

LOL. Funny.

Anonymous said...

i am so glad your youthfulness is still intact.. mwahhh for tthat :D

Anonymous said...

and yea mwah for the DESI-ness!

gone! said...

@Som I had so many busted thoughts but I just didn't come up with any appropriate and courteous one.

@Farah Thanks :-)

gone! said...

@Aruba, i don't know myself how I said that. I mean that's just not me! As for the auditions, they will never happen. I believe someday at the right time I will find the right person without carrying any materialistic crap ;-)

@Dure :D

@Seher Thank you. BTW, I love my desi-ness ;-)

Anonymous said...

haha...bechara!

Eraj said...

hahaha..... :)

siras said...

Hehe. Good luck with finding a date for the prom . =P

gone! said...

@Eshal :D

@Siras, I will make some excuse :D

zain said...

lol@ m commited=))
and yeah!..do arrange ur prom till then:P
lol

Anonymous said...

OMG "I M COMMITED"..I can't stop laughing =D=D
hahahahaha..LOL!!!
So who is this SO CALLED LUCKY GUY going to be?? :p

gone! said...

LOL! Fizza, NOT YOU! :D