This is my august-september cyber diary posted on 8th of september on the iearn yes cyber diaries forum. It's an official diary so my personal thoughts (in some places) definitely conradict from what is written here!
I am here after one whole month and to write about it, I need to rewind to the time I was packing and we were frantically calling and texting each other about the weight of the luggage! Thinking about it makes me giggle, how excited we were about the exchange year. Our conversations, never ending phone calls and excitement flew and the big day arrived, yes the 4th of August 2008! It certainly holds immense significance in our lives; with pounding hearts and wet eyes we all left our soil, our beloved country Pakistan. It wasn’t much depressing as there were folks to cheer us. After the tiring journey of around 24 hours we reached Washington D.C!
Those four days in D.C are perhaps the most tremendous days of my life. The emotions were certainly high and excitement was in the air. Those early mornings in the American University campus, the photo shoots and of course the “tavern” and “cafeteria” where we laughed, giggled, mesmerized and smiled. Aahh...But as it’s said, “Nothing is permanent” so was the case with our enjoyment. The terribly sad day of 9th of August 2008 arrived and we all left sobbing and advising each other to be strong! I still remember how gloomy our faces were and so seemed that night which was silent and dark on our departure!
One chapter closed and I arrived Wichita. I would love to mention that I went to the wrong gate at the Dallas Airport during the transit flight but thanks to the aunty who sneakily checked my boarding pass and saved me from a bizarre scene. I had t rush to the right gate. Oh my God, what a chaos was fashioned in my mind! Unfortunately at the Airport, I had to wait for 2 hours for my host family to arrive they were late. When we headed towards the house to my bad the car broke out and I waited more than 4 hours in the rain for its setup! I can’t forget that evening, it was chilly, raining and the beautiful surroundings were captivating my thoughts. Aah...My dream placeJ. The school started one day after my arrival. I loved the school, the huge building, spacious long hallways, courteous teachers, freaky students:P, exciting soccer games, tracks, cafeteria and classrooms everything was up to my expectations! Yes, it WAS, as I am no more in the same school. Due to certain circumstances my host family was changed and state too. I would love to tell how I got to Minnesota from Kansas. I never stayed overnight even in my grand parents’ house but I rested two nights in the house of people I knew the least bit about during my adventurous journey to Minnesota. I got to see two more states during the drive. I was not bored a bit as I had books to read, music to listen and beautiful sceneries to ponder (I think I pondered a little more after seeing my camera’s memory full ). It would be injustice if I won’t mention the trip to the Oklahoma City with the tennis Kansas’s women team (Thanks to Cherl, my previous community representative). I even met a Canadian Pakistani girl in the hotel, which was terribly elegant. Now I am with my community representative (the new one), she is looking for a host family for me. Not just she even my schoolmates and me and teachers are looking for one! It’s so amazing to find somebody to host you. That’s certainly a wonderful experience. As my CR doesn’t have room for me so I sleep on the couch in the living room but hey...that’s a part of my exchange experience and its better if I enjoy it instead of bawling! My new school is splendid and I have made a lot of friends. Tomorrow I will be going for camping, which is going to be a three night’s sleepover in Deep Portage...WOW! That sounds pleasing to my ears.
I have a pile to write about and even I want to share some pages from my diary but I got to go and stuff my clothes in the bag pack for camping so it’s better if I leave. I hope that you all are good and enjoying your exchange experience. I would like to advice everybody to enjoy and make fun out of even the worst experience and see the other side of the picture because that’s the only way one could make this year memorable.
Take care,
Bye for now
No comments:
Post a Comment