Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sold---A must read!


I just finished a great book entitled "SOLD" by Patricia McCormick. The book is the finalist of national book awards. I went to Target a few days back and there I saw this book with the innocent black girl on the title page with her face half covered and eyes reflecting pain, sorrow and terror. I decided to buy it after reading the blurb.

This is perhaps the first book, which I completed in 4 hours, without any break in between. The story revolves around a thirteen-year-old girl from Nepal, whose family barely manages to buy three meals for the day. They are buried under the debts from people in the village and cities. Though she is desperately poor, her life is full of simple pleasures, like playing hopscotch with her best friend Giti, having her mother braid her long black her by the light of an oil lamp. But when the monsoon rain-washes away their family crops his stepfather says she has to take a job and that's when the girl steps into a glamorous city world in Calcutta!

His stepfather sells her to a brothel lady in India and from there her terrible life begins! It's an awesome story showing the gruesome scenario of the world where humanity, mercy and sympathy doesn't exist. A must READ!!

No comments: