
A few days back I issued a book named “A Thousand Splendid Sons” by Khaled Hosseini. I must say that he has a heart for Afghans and why not his people are suffering since a longtime. This book discusses the lives of two Afghan women and how their desires and personalities are crushed under the dominance of their male members in the society. It throws light on how the Taliban originated, their impact and rules! It makes you ponder over what actually Islam says, does it support what Taliban are doing? In my opinion a big NO!
Also, it says a lot about Afghanistan’s history. I was horrified to see that even now, after huge development and advance technology, the young girls are made to marry people of their grandfather’s age. It’s an atrocious reality which almost all of us try to overlook by saying, No, that used to happen! But hey, come out of the simulated thoughts and accept that this still happening.
The way this novel end, is incredible. I sobbed when Mariam died. While reading, I was so engrossed in the pages that it seemed as if I know all the characters since a lifetime! All in all it’s a fabulous book which should be ready by everyone especially people from Middle East.
2 comments:
One little word of advice.. don't believe EVERY Taliban-definiton you read/hear/see...
Believe me, this one particular story teller is a master of spinning tales, and it is very very easy to change people's opinions based on an emotional tale. While I would never say that this story is bad or anything, it is a masterpiece of emotions.. LAIKIN..
You should also remember Yvonne Riddley's experience.. when she faced the real Talibans when captured in Afghanistan..
Hope you understand what I tried to tell you :)
Btw, nice blog :)
Thanks for praising the blog.
I certainly don't believe the tales but I have done quite some research and I always end up finding negative about the Taliban.
In my opinion Islam doesn't say to lock up your female members in a private hell, kill your own off spring, spare your own nation with the human rights and so on...
Post a Comment